The everyday danger of lead to kids
Lead is a naturally occurring element found on the surface of the earth. This element is widely used for a myriad of different purposes. The manufacturing industry, for instance, depends so much on lead for storage batteries. Lead is also used in the building and construction industry as an insulator. In medicine, lead is used to shield against radiation in an x-ray room.
But apart from its benefits, lead consumption can be too dangerous for humans, especially among younger children. According to Karlin, Fleisher & Falkenberg, many cases of lead ingestion have been associated with children toys with toxic levels of lead. Unfortunately, lead exposure may result in serious harm that could be irreversible. One of them is a damaged nervous system.
Lead is known to damage the brain and the peripheral nervous system. Although anyone can develop nervous system disorders when exposed to lead, children are at highest risk because their brain and nervous system are still rapidly developing. Additionally, babies exposed to lead while in utero are more prone to irreversible brain damage. Children with a damaged nervous system due to lead exposure may experience speech and hearing problems, stunted cognitive development, and learning difficulties. They may also have shorter attention span and lower IQ.
The website of Ritter Personal Injury says tenants should be aware that some houses could have toxic amount of lead. For instance, pre-1978 houses are coated with lead-based paint. When this coat peels off, it creates a lead powder that could be inhaled by your kids. Tap water can also be one of the culprits. Older water pipes and fixtures bonded with lead-based sealants may leak lead into the water, exposing your kids and your whole family to this deadly element.
The old adage “prevention is better than cure” holds true especially in relation with lead toxicity – where a cure can be too costly, or may even be impossible.